So if your child does not show much inclination to read, how can you encourage them?
- Firstly find out what they like and buy or borrow books on the topic for them to read.
- Join the local library and take them there regularly. show them how ot choose a book.
- Buy them books for Christmas and birthdays.
- Even comics can help a reluctant reader get going.
- Let them know how important it is to become a good reader.
- Get them tutoring if they are very poor readers.
- Buy them the latest e-book reader to download free and low-cost books to.
- Buy books they like that are part of a series because then they will want to get all the rest and so have even more practice in reading.
So what does your child like to read? They might like an adventure story for boys set on another planet, or a book for girls with a feisty heroine who is determined to get what she wants. Take the first step in getting your child to read well.